[PLUG] Resolved: Directing mailto in Firefox to Thunderbird

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 21:34:28 UTC 2008

(I thought I sent this earlier, but discovered that it only went to
John! Thanks to all the rest of you who also replied.)

John Hauser wrote:
> in firefox Edit|Preferences|Application change mailto to "use other"
> and type in thunderbird %s

The GUI did not provide a means to get to the directory where
thunderbird lives, nor is there a text box in which to type in
thunderbird %s.
> or nore generally:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client#Linux_-_Gnome

Their instructions aren't complete enough to cover Ubuntu. However, it
gave me enough to work with to go find the right place to make the
change. Mozillazine's instructions say:

Go to "Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Preferred
Applications."

In Ubuntu Hardy, you have to:

Go to "System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications. "

The first tab on the window is Internet, with  Web Browser and Mail
Reader as the two  applications to set. Thunderbird is one of the two
choices available for Mail Reader on my system, and thunderbird %s is
listed in the "command" text box.

After changing that selection from Evolution to Thunderbird I now get a
Thunderbird composition window when I click on a mailto link.

Regards,

Dick Steffens
www.dicksteffens.com