[PLUG] Linux compatible ATSC USB tuner

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:04:52 UTC 2008

# from VY
# on Tuesday 09 December 2008 10:37:

>Can anyone recommend a good ATSC USB tuner that has good Linux
> support? I am hoping to get one to decode HD signals.

The HVR-850 works (only as ATSC, but the analog support won't matter in
a couple months anyway.)  The instructions on the linuxtv wiki are not
very good.  (The dvbscan program is currently broken, so after messing
with firmware, I didn't know the tuner was working until I tried
the 'scan' program.)  The firmware you need is:

  http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/

At least, if you have kernel 2.6.26 and the xc5000 gets automatically
loaded.  There seems to have been some talk about the HVR-850 having
various innards.

--Eric
--
Introducing change is like pulling off a bandage: the pain is a memory
almost as soon as you feel it.