[PLUG] Is it Comcast or Motorola?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 05:15:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:55:40 -0800
m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > It could also be Ktorrent, but that seems less likely to me. It is a
> > new version that came with Intrepid, but I have been using Ktorrent for
> > years without a problem.
>
> Have you always run 500 connections per torrent? I use 50 and just
> adjust the overall upload speed to allow me to browse at decent speeds
> still. 500 just seems like a lot if you're running multiple torrents.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and observations.

The Intrepid upgrade installed Ktorrent 3.1.2 on KDE 4.1.3. When I
first launched it I was getting horrible download speeds. It was set to
a maximum of 10 connections per torrent by default. Unfortunately, I do
not recall how many connections per torrent the previous version was
set to.

Because of the horrible download speed I bumped it up to 100, then 200,
then finally 500 connections per torrent. If I recall correctly I was
trying to get Fedora, which had hundreds of seeders. I had no problem
at that time with the net connection.

Now that I am having problems I have knocked it back to 10 connections
per torrent and am still getting disconnected every few minutes.
Ktorrent worked fine with 500 connections per torrent before, but now
can't handle even 10. Because of this I conclude that it is not
Ktorrent. On the other hand, in the past I have been surprised by my
failure to grasp something obvious, so who knows for sure?

Keith's suggestion that it might be Comcast's equipment makes a lot of
sense. However, unless I miss my guess, the situation is continuing to
deteriorate. Right now I can't run even one torrent at 10 connections
without getting disconnected. And the disconnect first happened after a
couple of hours, where now I get cut off in a matter of minutes after
taking Ktorrent off Pause.

So at this point I'm voting for the modem as the culprit. Anyway,
they're not expensive, so a quick trip to Fry's may confirm or disprove
the modem hypothesis. Worst case I end up with an unneeded cable modem.