[PLUG] Is it Comcast or Motorola?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 18:53:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:25:50 -0800 (PST)
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> dijo:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, aschlemm at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I having issues with Comcast as well as my modem loses its
> > connection after 12 hours. I reset the modem and my hardware router
> > still has the DHCP lease assigned. Once I reset the modem I'm good
> > for another 12 hours. My modem is an old RCA DCM105 modem that is
> > DOCSIS 1.0 and so I'm wonder it the modem is starting to die as I
> > have had that modem since I got service from @Home back is early
> > 2000 (nearly 9 years ago). I believe my hardware router is OK as I
> > can connect to the local network OK and the internal DHCP server is
> > assigning an address on my laptop when I go through my WIFI access
> > point.
>
> You don't want a DOCSIS 1 device. My understanding (and I'll admit it
> may be flawed) is that it a) will limit your bandwidth and b) soon not
> work with Comcast's network.
>
> If you're "renting" your modem, call Comcast and tell them you need a
> new one. Today.
>
> If you own your device, buy yourself a new one and call Comcast to get
> it activated.

Yeah, I have decided to get a new modem. I came to that decision after
googling on modem problems. The symptoms I am experiencing seem to be
echoed by a lot of people whose modems eventually died completely.

The remaining problem is deciding which one to get and where to get it.
As far as I can tell Motorola is the only vendor of cable modems in the
US. They have half a dozen models, all of which are at least DOCSIS 2.0
and a couple of which are 3.0. There are other feature differences
also, but I don't understand what the features do. So first I have to
get educated and then I have to shop. And if I get something other than
the SB5101 (the successor to my SB5100), I'll probably have to order it
online.

Keeping everything in my life running is a full time job. I have too
much crap.