[PLUG] Loadkeys on Notebook Redux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 11 19:08:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> Sounds like udev.

Carlos,

   I wondered about this.

> I find a rule for /dev/console in etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:
>
> rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:9:KERNEL=="console",              MODE="0600",
> OPTIONS="last_rule"

   Yup. I see this.

> This page is a great doc for writing udev rules:
> http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

   Good resource, thanks.

> I'll bet you'll have the ownership rule figured out in minutes.

   Nope. I keep failing.

   When the system boots and I su to root I can change /dev/console from 0600
to 0660. I then return to my user self can successfully run loadkeys.

   So, after reading the above web page I created
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules. This file has one line:

KERNEL=="console",      MODE="0666", OPTIONS="last_rule"

Just for giggles I made it 666 rather than 660 (which works manually).

   Then I save the file and reboot. /dev/console comes up as 0600 once again.
There must be something I'm missing that prevents user me as a member of the
tty group access /dev/console so I can run loadkeys from within
.bash_profile.

   Even after taking out the "last_rule" option it still does not work. Yet,
this all worked out of the box prior to 12.0 or 12.1; I forget now when I
noticed the change.

Thanks,