[PLUG] Is it Comcast or Motorola?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 22:33:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:53:18 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> Yeah, I have decided to get a new modem.
> The remaining problem is deciding which one to get and where to get it.
> As far as I can tell Motorola is the only vendor of cable modems in the
> US. They have half a dozen models, all of which are at least DOCSIS 2.0
> and a couple of which are 3.0.

The continuing saga:

So far I have determined that cable modems are available from Motorola,
Arris, Linksys and RCA. RCA modems have a horrible reputation with
consumers, so they are scratched off the list. Linksys cable modems all
have wireless routers built in (which I do not need or want). Motorola
seems to have the highest reputation.

Comcast tells me they are rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 on December 16.
Therefore, it makes sense to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Any DOCSIS 3.0
modem is backwards compatible with DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0. Comcast
gave me a list of modem models, but none are DOCSIS 3.0.

Motorola makes one DOCSIS 3.0  modem for the US market: the model
SB6101.

I can't find anyplace that sells the SB6101. Even Motorola won't sell
me one, as they seem to do only large wholesale lots; no consumer
sales. Arris seems to have some DOCSIS 3.0 modems, but I can't even
figure out which models they are. Not that it matters because
apparently Arris also does wholesale business only.

Local stores sell the Motorola SB5101 only (Circuit City, Fry's, Best
Buy). Enuinc sells no cable modems at all. The SB5101 has an excellent
reputation, but is still just a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. It is the successor t
my SB5100, which lasted me about six years.

Unanswered questions:

If Comcast is rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 on December 16, what happens to
all their current users who have DOCSIS 2.0 modems? Will they see a
speed boost? If so, what would be the point of getting a DOCSIS 3.0
modem? If not, why is Comcast making a big deal in their advertising
about impending speed increases?

The more I figure out the more confused I become.