[PLUG] Is it Comcast or Motorola?

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:56:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net
> >wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:17:34 -0800
> > "drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:
> >
> > > Download an ISO via HTTP instead of Torrent and see what happens to the
> > > connection or see if you can use a proxy for your traffic to hide it
> from
> > > any sniffing Comcast is doing. You'll be taxing it then. Pick a fast
> > mirror
> > > like kernel.org.
> >
> > That was already suggested, and I did it. I downloaded the Edubuntu
> > addons from cat.pdx.edu directly instead of via torrent (3-400 MB each)
> > and they downloaded without issue.
> >
> > But when using torrents you have dozens if not hundreds of connections.
> > Plus, (I don't understand this well) there is a lot of back and forth
> > to the tracker. I haven't been using torrents for the past 24 hours and
> > my connection has been fine. But when downloading Fedora recently I had
> > 500 connections per torrent and I was downloading/uploading four
> > torrents - no problem at all. Now I can't maintain even ten connections
> > per torrent for just two torrents without getting disconnected.
> >
> > Something has changed.
> >

> Well, you can still try things until your new modem comes in. What if you
> try 1 torrent with 1 connection?
>
> -wes

Just an update on my thoughts.

John, could be the modem (I wasn't convinced at first). As I mentioned I was
suffering a similar situation using different gear. Thinking I was being
Sanvined by Qwest I tunneled everything through SSH and still had some weird
issues. I found a new firmware image for the Actiontec CPE I am using and it
seems like at least tunneled torrents are being downloaded properly without
issue. I haven't tried to test without using a tunneled proxy set up yet
though, that will answer at least my question. The new firmware did
anecdotally make a difference though.

Drew-