[PLUG] Is it Comcast or Motorola?

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Sat Dec 13 04:34:39 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 December 2008 09:25, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, aschlemm at comcast.net wrote:

> > I having issues with Comcast as well as my modem loses its
> > connection after 12 hours. I reset the modem and my hardware router
> > still has the DHCP lease assigned. Once I reset the modem I'm good
> > for another 12 hours. My modem is an old RCA DCM105 modem that is
> > DOCSIS 1.0 and so I'm wonder it the modem is starting to die as I
> > have had that modem since I got service from @Home back is early
> > 2000 (nearly 9 years ago). I believe my hardware router is OK as I
> > can connect to the local network OK and the internal DHCP server is
> > assigning an address on my laptop when I go through my WIFI access
> > point.
>
> You don't want a DOCSIS 1 device. My understanding (and I'll admit it
> may be flawed) is that it a) will limit your bandwidth and b) soon not
> work with Comcast's network.
>
> If you're "renting" your modem, call Comcast and tell them you need a
> new one. Today.
>
> If you own your device, buy yourself a new one and call Comcast to get
> it activated.

I purchased a Motorola SB5101 modem today and I called Comcast to update my
modem's MAC address. I plugged the new modem in and it started up before I
called Comcast support.  Once I got through all of the phone menus I got a
rep on the phone.  With the status page showing my new modem was operational
I gave the guy my new MAC address.  It didn't show up on their system and so
he made me connect my old modem again. It showed I was operational as it
showed up their network.

I was glad I was persistent and so I told him I wanted to reconnect the new
modem again and power it up. It finally showed up on their network with the
assigned MAC address. He set it up and told me it was going to reboot and
once I rebooted my hardware router everything was working again.

My download speeds are quite a bit faster and peak out at around 6mbps now.
Now I need to return my Comcast owned modem or I'll keep getting charged
$3.00 a month. Cable modems are pretty cheap now and so I've wasted quite a
bit of money for renting a modem for nearly 9 years now.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at comcast.net