[PLUG] booting from a compact flash card

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 15 00:48:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 04:15:12PM -0800, Eitan Tsur wrote:
> Beware of the SSD's.  Read the reviews.  Some drives do NOT work well on
> filesystems that require frequent writes.  I'd read one review that said
> that using reiser worked very well, however EXT3 performance on the same
> drive was absolutely horrid.  Gotta do your research.

Good points.  Thanks for the feedback.

Of course, it is good to move caches and /tmp to RAM and set the
noatime option in /etc/fstab .  I found more useful ideas here:

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/04/four-tweaks-for-using-linux-with-solid-state-drives/

Are there other pages I should be looking at?

I used ReiserFS for some systems, but I did not have good luck
with it - it was fast, but it did not handle disk errors well.
And I worry about my wife's safety with Reiser around :-).
Your mileage may vary, of course.

I will have to think about ext2 vs. ext3 vs. "other".  I expect I
will set up a boot partition with ext2 (journalling is not needed
if the files don't change much), and use some solid-state-friendly
file system such as jffs2 for the main partition (or at least
/home and /var).  More to learn...

Keith