[PLUG] booting from a compact flash card

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Mon Dec 15 02:50:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:15 -0800, Eitan Tsur wrote:
> Beware of the SSD's.  Read the reviews.  Some drives do NOT work well on
> filesystems that require frequent writes.  I'd read one review that said
> that using reiser worked very well, however EXT3 performance on the same
> drive was absolutely horrid.  Gotta do your research.

Interesting stuff. This bit from an Acer Aspire Wiki concurs:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

"Solid state drives are made of flash memory, they are fast in reading
but slow in writing data and you cannot overwrite countless times, so
for a long SSD life take care to:

     1. Never choose to use a journaling file system on the SSD
        partitions.
     2. Never use a swap partition on the SSD.
     3. Edit your new installation fstab to mount the SSD partitions
        "noatime".
     4. Never log messages or error log to the SSD.

These rules ensure that we won't reach the maximum limit of writes on
our SSD faster than we should."

Thanks,
Mike