[PLUG] low power desktops

Eric House eehouse at eehouse.org
Mon Dec 15 16:41:58 UTC 2008

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Ian Burrell <ianburrell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > [mini-itx low-power systems?]
> > >
> > > Any other suggestions?
> > >

> > You might want to consider the Eee Box with Atom processor, DVI
> > output, laptop hard drive, and slim case.

I have one of these, and love it!  It's not super-fast, but it's
basically equivalent to the five-year-old IBM desktop that's my main
development machine.  It's running Ubuntu 8.10 easy as you please.
It's inaudible from 2' away, and draws less than 20 watts (according
to reviews; I haven't measured yet.)

eehouse at maidu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 28
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 800.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3215.93
clflush size    : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
[same as above]

It's not dual-core, but "hyperthreaded".  There's rumored to be a
version in the works based on a dual-core Atom, and I might be tempted
to wait for that.  Oh, and BTW, I got mine at Costco!  That's how
mainstream the thing's become.  (Don't bother looking, though; it
disappeared from costco.com a couple of days after I ordered.  Dunno
why.)

--Eric