[PLUG] To mod or not to mod...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:05:59 UTC 2008

Uhm a laptop for the price of just a mod chip???  As in around $50?  Or do
you mean the price of a PS2 + mod chip ($100-200)?
In that case you are in a more realistic ballpark, for a good old PIII or
single core Centrino from Craigslist or eBay (or FreeGeek).

One example: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sys/961025874.html
Another: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sys/959962765.html

Old Dells are usually a safe bet for Linux, I have an old PII-200 Latitude
D300xt that runs Debian with Fluxbox or XFCE quite well.
PII era stuff would usually not have any built in networking (wifi or
ethernet), only modem, I use a PCMCIA ethernet card in it now.  PIII era
stuff should have ethernet and probably 802.11b, or maybe 802.11g depending
on the age.  Also look into old Thinkpads, similarly very good with Linux
usually.

Another possibility is an old PPC iBook or Powerbook, I have a couple old
Powerbooks, a G4 running OS X Leopard and Ubuntu dual boot, and an older G3
running Ubuntu.  G3 era has built in ethernet but not wifi, G4 era has
both.  Ubuntu doesn't "officially" support PPC anymore but it is now a
community version, other distros still do officially support it such as
Fedora.

At any rate good luck with it :).

Matt M.
LinuxKnight