[PLUG] Web Site Browser Icon

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Dec 18 02:12:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:22:22 -0800
> From: Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Web Site Browser Icon
>
> ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com wrote:
>> Favicons can be a real bear to get loaded.  I'd point your browser
>> directly at the favicon.ico file itself via URL.  That will make your
>> browser start paying attention to it.
>>
> That works to see the icon in the browser window, and when looking at it
> that way, it shows up next to the URL box, and on the tab. But when I go
> back to the main site, it disappears -- I should say that it is replaced
> by a default icon that Firefox uses.
>
> All this experience has been while viewing the sites with Firefox on my
> Ubuntu machine. However, when I view either site with Firefox or IE from
> my XP laptop the icon appears where it is expected to.
>
> I wondered if Firefox on my Ubuntu machine had to be restarted, so I
> tried that. Now the icon appears where it is supposed to. I'll play with
> it some more to see which of the recommendations needed to be included,
> and then summarize the whole experience.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
> www.dicksteffens.com

Your experience is just like mine always is.  It simply takes a lot of
coaxing to get the favicon to start working.  Eventually it will start
working for everyone who visits your site, after enough time has
passed and things fall out of cache.  Not sure why the makers of
modern web browsers find it so important to cache a 16x16 image that
can be delivered in the payload of a single packet.

If you think firefox caches overzealously, try seamonkey.  (This is a
sarcastic remark.)

Carlos