[PLUG] Video problem with new PC

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Dec 18 20:50:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:12:43AM -0800, David Kaplan wrote:
> How do I install Fedora 10 in safe mode? I was thinking that if I go in as
> safe mode I can install and Nvidia drivers that are needed for this mboard.

Some tricks when the video is flaky:

1) Install in text mode - most distros have an option for this.
2) Try a live CD or two.
3) "Control-Alt-F1" for a text screen.  "Control-Alt-F7" back to graphics.
4) "Control-Alt-BS" - back to the login screen
5) SSH from another machine (if SSHD is running the firewall is off)

The Free Geek store has plenty of older video cards for $5-$20 .
Get 2 or 3, find the varieties that work.

Most of the super-powerful video cards for sale burn a lot of power
to enable you to play video games in high definition with Windows.
If this is not your goal, a garden variety AGP video card will
probably have all the speed you need for surfing and playing videos.

Keith