[PLUG] IP Address for Hong Kong Domain Name

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Thu Dec 18 23:59:09 UTC 2008

> [rshepard at salmo ~]$ host "dongjiang.com.hk"
> dongjiang.com.hk mail is handled by 10 mail.dongjiang.com.hk.
> dongjiang.com.hk mail is handled by 20 mail2.dongjiang.com.hk.
>
>    Same results without quoting the domain name.
>
>    dig gives me the nameservers ... by name, not IP address

So their domain has MX records defined but no A record.  This isn't that
uncommon.  Of course the MX records you see tell you that those hosts
are where mail goes when sending to them.  Commonly these will be the
same IPs you see coming at you when they're sending you mail, but
there's never any guarantee of this.

Name server records are supposed to give names.  Almost all record types
except for A and AAAA should point to another name.  Eventually all name
chains lead to an IP, but you have to follow that.  For instance:

~> host mail.dongjiang.com.hk.
mail.dongjiang.com.hk has address 220.241.112.97

~> host mail2.dongjiang.com.hk.
mail2.dongjiang.com.hk has address 220.241.112.98

~> host -t ns dongjiang.com.hk
dongjiang.com.hk name server ns8.imsbiz.com.
dongjiang.com.hk name server ns7.imsbiz.com.

~> host ns8.imsbiz.com
ns8.imsbiz.com has address 210.87.250.14

~> host ns7.imsbiz.com
ns7.imsbiz.com has address 210.87.253.2

HTH,
tim