[PLUG] Best dealer for Thinkpads

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:26:37 UTC 2008

I've been eyeing the Lenovo X61 tablet with the XSGA+ (1440x1040)
screen for quite a while, and finally decided to bite the bullet,
but...... it is no longer being made.  Lenovo has dropped production
of the tablet with that screen -- they all run 1024x768 now.

I can get the SXGA+ laptop from Emperor Linux, but I'd be paying a
$900 premium over the lenovo price for the most-comparable tablet (the
only difference is the screen resolution).  Since I'm pretty
indifferent to having a preconfigured vs. personally configured
laptop, I don't want to shell out that much just to have someone
install linux for me -- I *can't* get it built with the UI I want, and
so many things are tied to the desktop managers these days, I'll have
to do a lot of the footwork anyway.

Does anyone know of a good retailer where I could find this machine?
On-line or in Seattle would be ideal, but I come to Portland
frequently too.

Any general suggestions re: wireless adapters / linux tablet-based
input software / etc. are also always welcome :)

Thanks!
Rogan