[PLUG] Using Wireshark

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 19:47:31 UTC 2008

wes wrote:
> If it were me, in your case, I would set up a computer with 2 network cards
> and configure it as a gateway, allowing traffic to flow from one interface
> to the other. Then I would use Wireshark or TCPDump or another utility (my
> favorite is TCPFlows, ymmv) to monitor port 25 and look who's talking.

I thought of that. I'll have to build a machine, load a version of
Linux, and give it a try. I think I have enough parts in the basement to
build a machine with two nics, but it will be a fairly old machine, so
it probably won't like running the same version of Ubuntu I'm running on
this machine. I'll have to read up on installing and running without a GUI.

Thanks for the insights.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens