[PLUG] Disallow raid assembly with missing device?

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Sat Dec 20 20:30:07 UTC 2008

I've got a non-critical box running raid5 where two drives are external, one
USB and one eSATA. Occasionally for some reason one or the other is not
detected at boot time, and the kernel will autodetect and assemble the array
in degraded state missing one drive. This requires the whole array to be
regenerated, which is quite time consuming.

Is there a way to force the kernel to NOT assemble an array that's missing
disks at boot time? The raid456 module is compiled into the kernel because
this raid array is the root filesystem. I'm not using an initrd and want to
avoid doing so because that's a nuisance.

Kernel version 2.6.27, if it matters.

TIA,
Aaron