[PLUG] Going the laptop route...

Ken Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sun Dec 21 00:14:25 UTC 2008

m0gely wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>

>> You might make it in time for the unadvertised $100.00 discount at
>> NewEgg.com for the ASUS EEE PC 1000.  $399.00 + S&H.  Ends today.
>>

> Costco is carrying the Acer Aspire for $350. It has a 120GB hard drive
> and 1GB of mem. Anyway, another local option.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11326690

I got one of the ASUS EEE PCs and like it.  Boots quickly.  The Xantros
distribution which is a Debian derivative.  I added the debian
repositories to get some of the programs I wanted.  They have the
distribution tied down tightly.  They have gui interfaces for most
everything they want you to do, but since it is a debian
distrotribution, apt-get with the additional repositories specified will
get you almost anything you want.

Ken
CAD 2 CAM