[PLUG] Niggling time problem

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sun Dec 21 12:49:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> jjj at Devil7:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate time.mit.edu
> 20 Dec 11:48:18 ntpdate[1386]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting

>From the ntpdate man page:

   ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon
   (e.g., ntpd) is running on the same host.

I notice also that the man page for ntpdate says:

   Disclaimer:  The functionality of this program is now available in the
   ntpd program. See the -q command line option in the ntpd - Network Time
   Protocol (NTP) daemon page. After a suitable period of mourning, the
   ntpdate program is to be retired from this distribution

so you may wish to investigate using ntpd some more.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com