[PLUG] Possible fried laptop...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 22 03:44:00 UTC 2008

Eitan Tsur wrote:
> Just thought of something...  I'll leave the battery out overnight and the
> laptop unplugged in case of weird stuff that may have happened, and in the
> morning if it doesn't start up I'll pop out the CMOS backup battery to reset
> the CMOS so long as it isn't dangerous.  If anyone has any thoughts or
> warnings, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> -Eitan-
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Eitan Tsur <eitan.tsur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At this point I'm almost suspecting a component failure on the
>> motherboard.  I can do surface-mount soldering, but lack the knowledge to
>> diagnose the circuits to find the faulty components.  If this is what it
>> sounds like, I'll have to bring 'er in to the next PLUG workshop to see if
>> someone can help me repair it.
>>
>> Regards.
>> -Eitan-
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Eitan Tsur <eitan.tsur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Battery was not dead upon shutdown.  On the contrary; it was at 90+ %.
>>> Charging light is separate from power light.

I went through something like this a couple of months ago on my ancient
Compaq Presario 2110US. It was running fine on AC but the charge light
flashed yellow. I went on line and did a search and it said, "Dead
Battery". So I bought a new battery and it now works. So before you
throw in the towel, search for your symptoms on the vendor's support
site. It might just be a dead battery.

P.S. On mine, the light is green when fully charged, *solid* yellow when
charging and flashing yellow when there is a dead battery. I forget what
the symptom is if the charging circuit is fried.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P), WOM