[PLUG] Low-memory-footprint-browsers...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 23 19:13:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> 2. With any kernel, you need to account for shared memory, libraries,
> etc., to properly assess the memory required by an application. The tool
> that does this is in the "procps" package and is called "pmap".

Ed,

   Thank you. I was not aware of pmap before ... or I completely forgot about
it.

   Germane to this thread, how would I apply pmap to determine the memory
used by firefox when I have these three processes running?

  9484 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/firefox
  9496 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.20/run-mozilla.sh /usr
  9501 ?        Sl     4:20 /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.20/firefox-bin

   Do I measure only 9484? Add the results of all three?

Thanks,