[PLUG] Low-memory-footprint-browsers...

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:52:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:47, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>
>> those first two should be noise in comparison to the third, which is
>> the money shot.
>
> Chris,
>
>   OK. That produces a result of 4284K. Is this considered large by today's
> standards?

compared to firefox?  you be the judge.  my firefox starts at around
150Mbytes in RAM.  i think 2 orders of magnitude difference is pretty
substantial, meaning the small is unimportant in light of the large.
but hey, that's just my opinion.

another point:  before measuring, you'll want to open pages in as many
tabs as you use to produce an accurate reflection of reality.

opera continues to grow after long-term use (more than a day), about
doubling in size before it levels out, so it would be interesting to
track the size data over the course of your typical "session" (mine's
about 4 weeks long at work, and 4-48 hours long at home).  those first
two shell processes should not ever increase in size, since their work
is done by the time the browser starts.