[PLUG] Barebones desktop evaluation

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Dec 26 19:26:11 UTC 2008

Folks,

I'm getting to the point where my desktop (which really should be a
server) is getting creaky. Well, I need to be able to set up hardware
virtualization on something other than my laptop.

In this boxing day search, I've found this tempting offer
www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4353543&CatId=333

Yeah, I should add a cooling fan to this, but it looks like I can pretty
much just transfer hard drives and be ready to go with this. Sure I wish
this motherboard could handle 8GB, but I think 4GB should be sufficient
for a bunch of 256MB VMs. Not like I'm planning to run Vista.

The thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard, an EVGA e-7050/610i.
www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4245906&sku=E145-2050&srkey=E145-2050

though http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/EVGA_nForce_e-7050_610i seems
promising.

Perhaps there's an alternative local source, now that I'm almost ready
to drive without chains (which seem to limit me to 10mph).

Thanks,
Mike