[PLUG] Barebones desktop evaluation

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 26 21:57:16 UTC 2008

MJang wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm getting to the point where my desktop (which really should be a
> server) is getting creaky. Well, I need to be able to set up hardware
> virtualization on something other than my laptop.
>
> In this boxing day search, I've found this tempting offer
> www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4353543&CatId=333
>
> Yeah, I should add a cooling fan to this, but it looks like I can pretty
> much just transfer hard drives and be ready to go with this. Sure I wish
> this motherboard could handle 8GB, but I think 4GB should be sufficient
> for a bunch of 256MB VMs. Not like I'm planning to run Vista.
>
> The thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard, an EVGA e-7050/610i.
> www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4245906&sku=E145-2050&srkey=E145-2050
>
> though http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/EVGA_nForce_e-7050_610i seems
> promising.
>
> Perhaps there's an alternative local source, now that I'm almost ready
> to drive without chains (which seem to limit me to 10mph).

I got my desktop built at CompUsa when they still had a store here. But
I ended up with a Gigabyte motherboard and an AMD Athlon64 X2 processor,
not an Intel one. I'd recommend spending the extra bucks for the 8 GB if
you can, and you'll probably want to go for a full 64-bit distro. If
your current desktop is a 32-bit one, just moving the hard drives
"should work" but it might not be worth the troubleshooting time if it
doesn't. :)

What virtualization are you going to use? VirtualBox? Xen? KVM? Qemu?
The free ESXi?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P), WOM