[PLUG] kio_http is a pig

linux-yug linux-yug at xprt.net
Tue Dec 30 07:25:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 22:33 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:37:05 -0800
> Denis Heidtmann <denish at dslnorthwest.net> dijo:
>
> > John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > basically the CPU cores are
> > > tied up. Looking in System > Administration > System Monitor reveals
> > > that there are three instances of kio_http running, each consuming 30+%
> > > of CPU time....
> >
> > I do not know if Linux supports nice.  Can it be a help?
>
> Tell me more about nice. I see a column in System > Administration >
> System Monitor that is labeled "nice." Sadly, it never occurred to the
> developers of System Monitor to create documentation explaining what
> "nice" is;.

man nice....

NAME
       nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority

SYNOPSIS
       nice [OPTION] [COMMAND [ARG]...]

DESCRIPTION
       Run  COMMAND  with  an  adjusted niceness, which affects process
scheduling.  With no COMMAND, print the current niceness.
       Nicenesses range from -20 (most favorable scheduling) to 19
(least favorable).

       -n, --adjustment=N
              add integer N to the niceness (default 10)

       --help display this help and exit

       --version
              output version information and exit

       NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nice, which usually
supersedes the version described here.  Please  refer  to
       your shell’s documentation for details about the options it
supports.

HTH

linux-yug