[PLUG] Resolved: Router Problem

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Fri Feb 1 19:38:10 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 1:42 AM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad its working again. May have been a timing thing or it could just be
> buggy firmware on the router. I had troubles with Netgear routers losing
> their DHCP lease from the cable modem and no matter how much I powercycled
> it, it wouldn't renew the lease. That said, I've had trouble with Linksys as
> well so its not a vendor specific problem.

I'm not sure how much this applies to the situation at hand, though
I've noticed with several different cable modems at different
locations since AT&TBI took over part of @Home that the cable modem
itself will hang if it hears more than itself and one other MAC on
it's ethernet segment.  If you have more than one computer, NAT is
pretty much mandatory to get around this odd bug.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca