[PLUG] 802.11n and draftn

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 20:06:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 11:55 AM, MJang <mike at mommabears.com> wrote:
> Even my wife is saying it's time to upgrade the wireless . . . So I'm
> wondering what your thoughts are on 802.11n and draftn stuff. Was
> reading the other day that true 802.11n hardware will come out this
> summer.
>
> So should I upgrade now, or wait?

Doesn' the Apple Air have 802.11n?  I think so.  Regarding your
question though, I have always learned that it never pays to be an
early adopter.  I had one of the first consumer DVD recordable drives.
 What a pain that was, and to record at 1x took a very long time!!??
Just like with cars, you get the best vantage point (and deals,
superior technology, robust engineering) about 2-3 years out from the
initial offering to the public.  Look at the iPhone :-)  Had you
waited, could have saved $100 only three months later!  It always pays
to lag behind.  In fact, I think it is unwise to adopt early.
However, we need some of you consumers to be the sacrificial lambs, so
maybe I shouldn't have told you all this (my consumer purchases will
now be less robust 2-3 years out).  Anyway, that's just my two cents.
Take it or leave it...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."