[PLUG] 802.11n and draftn

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 2 21:39:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:55:11 -0800
MJang <mike at mommabears.com> dijo:

> Even my wife is saying it's time to upgrade the wireless . . . So I'm
> wondering what your thoughts are on 802.11n and draftn stuff. Was
> reading the other day that true 802.11n hardware will come out this
> summer.

First, if you do don't get the Intel 4965AGN. There are bugs in the
driver (worse in the 64-bit) that cause sudden hangups. Supposedly this
will be fixed with a later kernel. Some already report success by
upgrading their kernel, but I'm unwilling to do so on a computer where
everything else is working. I'll wait for Hardy Heron and see what
happens. Meantime I'm using a borrowed Netgear WG511T that "just works."

I should also ask if getting an n-capable device now is going to make
any difference - I don't know of any access points that support it yet.
Or does the access point device have any bearing on it? If so, the only
reason for getting one now is to avoid having to upgrade one more time
several years from now when there are places where it would make a
difference. In my case about 90% of my wireless use is at PSU. If PSU
has to upgrade all their hardware to the n standard before I will get
the benefit of it, then I can just forget about it. The power outlets
on the fourth floor of the library put out 75-80 volts and they can't
even find the money to fix those. (I brought a meter from home day
because I was so frustrated.)

I'd say get something like the WG511T on eBay for $15-20 and give it to
Free Geek several years from now when it makes sense to get one with
the n standard.