[PLUG] 2008: Linux's year on the desktop

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Sat Feb 2 23:02:03 UTC 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 10:12 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:
> m0gely wrote:
> > Personally, I give kudos to Apple for OSX. They created a GUI/*nix
> > environment in a relatively short amount of time that for the most part
> > works very well.
>
> Of course, their GUI evolved from the original Mac GUI, which predates
> Windows by a number of years.

Actually, just one year.  Windows was first released in November, 1985.

> Windows to a certain extent started as a
> Mac GUI knockoff. Mac users had Excel and WYSIWIG word processors and
> drawing programs when PC users were still using Lotus 1-2-3 and
> WordPerfect on DOS. The first versions of Windows used only one button
> of the mouse, etc.

I'm not sure if the one-button thing is true, considering many other
DOS programs of that vintage did use all three buttons (Logitech
Paintshow being the most notorious that comes to mind right now).

> And nobody before or since has *ever* done anything like HyperCard. :)

Visual Basic wasn't that far off back around version 3.0 and 3.1.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca