[PLUG] Linuxant caution

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 06:58:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:54:36 -0800 (PST)
Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> dijo:

> Linuxant, as many of you know, is intended to allow people with Linux laptops to use Wifi cards that would not otherwise work. I am running SuSE 10.3, and when I attempted to install Airlink 101 AWLC3028 with their software the computer hung and the OS would not reboot. (More details on request.) But I would suggest having a good backup if you try to install a card with their application.

My dim understanding of Linuxant is that they sell a script that
downloads the Windows driver for your card, installs ndiswrapper, and
configures it for the driver. They also have resources for finding the
Windows drivers. All of the above can be done by yourself. Having said
that, it's a useful service for beginners or people who just want the
thing working and don't know how (or want to spend the time to learn
how) to do it themselves.

If your computer won't boot after running their stuff, see if you can
boot into recovery mode. If you can, do lsmod and see if ndiswrapper is
loaded. And if so, do ndiswrapper -l to see if the driver is loaded.