[PLUG] Accessing Old Microsoft Files With OO.o-2.1

Michael Ewan mhewan1 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 16:41:14 UTC 2008

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Larry Brigman wrote:
>

>> I have to convert some stuff for others and have used
>> http://www.zamzar.com/
>>

>    Thank you, Larry and John.
>
>    Looking at the contents of the file with 'less' I see that there's nothing
> in there that I really need. It _might_ have been useful, but it's turned
> out to be less than I thought.
>
> Rich

One thing to consider before you abandon all hope, during that time
frame, MS Office saved files in rtf, but named them .doc, in the name of
compatibility with other versions of the software.  It was a major
kludge they fixed in the next release.  Since you looked at the file
already with less, I suspect this is what happened, since a true doc
file wouldn't be readable as text.  Look at the first line of the file
and see if it says RTF anywhere, or just rename it as file.rtf and see
if OO.o can read it then.