[PLUG] Kernel 2.6.24 build on T61

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Wed Feb 6 22:12:07 UTC 2008

> Unfortunately, I get a kernel panic on every build I've tried.  Message
> follows:
>
> BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 6 devices found
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> 0300	4194302	hda driver:	ide-cdrom
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root ofs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

I have problems similar to this all the time.  It's typically me and my
overly-lean attitude toward kernel configuration.  I often nuke an IDE
option or two that are critical to the initial bootstrapping process.

In your case, did you compile the SATA options all into the kernel
itself?  If not, that's certainly going to be a problem if you need to
boot off of them.

I often do not use an initrd image at all.  Not needed in most cases
with lean kernels.  I don't have time right now to look through your
config, but if you continue to be stuck, kick me an email off-list and
I'll try to look.

HTH,
tim