[PLUG] lcd care and feeding

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Thu Feb 7 01:51:27 UTC 2008

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> I'm considering replacing my screensaver with:
>
>   xset dpms force off
>
> (Suggestions of how to make that happen in kde land?)

> --Eric

Eric,

It is rare indeed that I have anything to offer which might help someone as
expert as you--I am a novice.  BUT, I have the following notes from my early
attempts to set dpms.  Maybe they still apply.

-Denis

(following done under Dapper Drake)

To set the DPMS (Display Power Management System) time values, do not use
kcontrol or systemsettings.  Those create a new xorg.conf file lacking the
required Option "DPMS" entry and use the same time for all three time settings.
  In addition, the time settings do not survive logoff/logon.

Instead of trying to use the GUI methods,  add an Option "DPMS" entry in the
Monitor section of xorg.conf.  Make the desired time entries in the ServerFlags
section, such as:
  Option  "StandbyTime" "2"
Option  "SuspendTime"  "3"
Option  "OffTime"   "5"

These times are in effect after reboot, but just kde logoff and logon does not
read these times.

Other DPMS notes:
  xset q reports times and status, xset dpms force off turns the monitor off,
xset dpms 120 180 300 sets the same times as the example above (but xset
settings do not survive a restart of X.)

The file $home/.kde/share/config/kcmdisplayrc has times settings as above, but
seem to have no effect.