[PLUG] lcd care and feeding

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:42:11 UTC 2008

# from Rich Shepard
# on Thursday 07 February 2008 06:11:

>> My question is whether using a blank screen/screensaver is worth it
>> at all instead of just going straight to standby after e.g. 10
>> minutes.
>
>   "Worth" what?

40 watts.

>   The screen will go blank when I'm on the telephone a
> long time, when I take a lunch or dinner break, or otherwise not
> actively use the system for 10 minutes.

Is your standby light blinking when the screen goes blank?  If not, your
computer is sending it a grid full of black pixels (and with the lights
out the screen glows a bluish-black.)  That's 40W of black.

> It comes back up quickly. It
> also comes quickly to life first thing in the morning, so I suppose
> it makes no difference in responsiveness what mode the monitor was
> in.

I think the "modes" you're seeing here are "on" and "off".  My LCD does
only one thing for all three of the dpms suspend/standby/off modes.

--Eric
--
"If you only know how to use a hammer, every problem begins to look like
a nail."