[PLUG] Victor is trying to understand DNS

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:47:06 UTC 2008

Hi Kevin and PLUG,

A long time ago, I wrote to the PLUG asking questions about DNS.  At
the time I was a bit overwhelmed by all the responses.  I set aside
reading the email responses for awhile, and looked at them again.  I
understand better now.  I guess what I want to do is not mess with DNS
initially, as you indicate in your email below.  I realize now that I
don't have to set up my own DNS server in order to use apache.  I just
use somebody elses DNS server(s).  I want to use DynDNS with Comcast
as you do.  You say you installed a start-up script.  Are you
referring to ddclient or inadyn as shown at:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/unix.html

If you use one of these start-up scripts, which one do you prefer?

When you say you run a cron job, are you referring to crontab as shown at:

http://www.learninglinux.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=57

Can you be specific with regard to what would be a good cron job command?

I tried this DynDNS stuff a while ago, but I didn't know what I was
doing.  I think I did apt-get install ddclient on my debian machine.
At one point, the program ran me through some dialog boxes asking me
to set some configuration options.  Some of the configuration stuff, I
couldn't figure out.  I've gone from blind to semi-blind now.  I'm
wondering if in one of the dialog boxes, I set up a cron job, or if
it's the case that I configure whatever it is that I need to configure
with the dialog boxes, and when I'm done, I then set up a cron job.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich