[PLUG] puzzle of the day - unpuzzled

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Sun Feb 10 22:35:44 UTC 2008

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > michael at here:~$ df -h
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1             145G  139G     0 100% /
> >
> > michael at here:~$ df -ih
> > Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1                19M    1.4M     18M    8% /
> >
> > No disk space available, plenty of inodes available, dmesg does not show problems.
> >
> > If you have a clue stick, smack me.
>
> Robert and Terry had the correct answer.  Terry's 5% observation being the
> really helpful key.
>
> Time for that NAS to store my mp3s

And I forgot to mention . . .

How did I manage to fill the disk?

It provides an nfs mount.  I rip CDs on another system and copy them to this
one via the nfs mount points.  nfsd is running as root so files transferred to
the nfs exported directories aren't restricted by the reserved limitation.  An
unprivledged user can then write until the partition is 100% full.  Nice DOS
if you have a sensitive partition NFS shared.  This would apply to any
partition where a service needs to write tmp files.

Which raises the question:  do you partition your drive or just have a all
encompassing root?  If it's all one big one consider that LVM has taken
the pain of wrongly sized partitions out of life.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity