[PLUG] MS Access -> ? for OOo

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Feb 10 23:17:35 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a file containing about 5,000 records in MS Access 2000. I have
> not needed to access this data for over a year, but suddenly I need to
> again. The last time I did it I used OOo on Linux, which could read and
> merge the data I needed. However, I just tried it and it no longer
> works. I asked on an OOo e-list and was told that support for the .mdb
> file format had been dropped from the Linux versions of OOo. I find
> this rather unbelievable (why, if it was working before?), but so be
> it. I guess it is time to get the data out of Access and into something
> else. The database contains numerous queries, sub-tables and forms, but
> they could all be recreated. The main table is the important part.
>
> I know next to nothing about databases. I have heard of a number of
> different databases - mySQL, etc. Which would be the best for a dummy
> who just needs to merge data into OOo Writer documents, a la mail merge
> (but more involved)?
>
> Also, does anyone know if there is anything in Linux-land that can read
> the Access data?

*  app-office/mdbtools
       Latest version available: 0.6_pre1-r1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Unstable version:         0.6_pre1-r1
       Use Flags (stable):       -gnome -odbc
       Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
       Homepage:    http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
Microsoft Access database (MDB) files
       License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2.1