[PLUG] MS Access -> ? for OOo

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 02:01:38 UTC 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 4:43 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> Oh well, at least I've got the data out of Access into an open source
> file format. I did discover that I can export the data as .csv from
> Kexi and OOo can read the .csv file. However I'm not sure I want to
> keep my data in .csv format. From past experience there are problems
> with delimiters when you need funny characters in a field (and I do
> that a lot).

csv is well-defined for funny characters -- if you have problems with
a file either the file is corrupt or the csv implementation is
inferior (there are *lots* of these, unfortunately, so your argument
may well be sound based on that alone).  Generally csv isn't sufficent
for most people simply because it only stores values (duh) this is
probably not an issue for a db dump, but if you have spreadsheets,
then you should know (or realize?) that csv does not persist formulas.

--Rogan