[PLUG] MS Access -> ? for OOo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 08:08:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:56:35 -0800
"Rogan Creswick" <creswick at gmail.com> dijo:

> You really must learn LaTeX some day though (LyX is a good way to
> start -- it's WYSIWYG) I think you would really enjoy how it separates
> the content from the formatting, yet still does the formatting
> perfectly.

LaTeX cannot handle OpenType fonts. That is a showstopper.

I did install Lyx once a couple years ago. It hijacked file
associations for damn near everything, including .txt files.

> For your problem, it looks like it *is* possible to get to OO Base to
> load an sqlite db:
>
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/data_source/SQLite.pdf
>
> It doesn't look *that* hard, but probably not a 5-min job.

I tried the above PDF instructions, but couldn't get it to work. I note
the file is three years old. That long ago OOo/Linux could read an MS
Access .mdb file directly. It was only recently that someone decided it
wasn't broke so it needed to be fixed.

The above PDF file gives links to drivers and other files, but they are
all 32-bit. I found most everything in Synaptic, however. But I don't
know if the version I installed is the right one. And some of the links
in the PDF are broken.

I think it may be possible to get OOo to work with Kexi, but it's going
to take more up to date information than that PDF file. Unfortunately,
the only source of information for KWord and for Kexi are mailing lists
with practically no traffic.