[PLUG] Creating EPS Text File

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 17:34:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:05:13 -0800
Tim <tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org> dijo:

> >    Let's see what happens .... Well! D'oh! Print the pdf to file using xpdf,
> > then use convert. Sheesh! Don't know where my head was when I wrote this
> > yesterday, but it was certainly not bolted on properly.
>
> Something to note:  just recently, the version of xpdf I am using with
> Debian unstable had some kind of bug that caused it to generate broken
> postscript.  I was able to print pdfs using lpr, but couldn't print from
> xpdf due to postscript errors.  Something to watch out for in the
> future, as I have yet to find a resolution for that (besides going
> around xpdf for printing).

I have once in a while had problems printing PDFs from KPDF as well,
and not just recently. It happens very infrequently, but often enough
that I simply use Adobe Reader 8.1 instead. Also, Adobe Reader 7 or
later is still required if you need to fill in PDF forms.

You might try Okular, a fork or something of KPDF, which can fill in
text boxes now on PDF forms, although not all the other types of
controls. I have found it to be really useful for converting PS to PDF
because the converted PDF appears right in the window immediately.
Also, I haven't had any problems printing from it (so far). I think
it's still in development - part of the new KDE. But even if it isn't
finished it's stable and the parts that work seem reliable.