[PLUG] Thin-clients

eehouse.org eehouse at eehouse.org
Tue Feb 12 20:37:39 UTC 2008

> The 2300's are a bit slow, but one of the main uses was to run some
> tutoring software via Windows 2003 terminal server.  We lowered the
> resolution and tweaked some GUI settings to get things drawing a bit
> quicker.
>
> Amusing is that rdesktop running on these provides a snappier GUI
> experience (in Windows 2003) than the native Gnome desktop. :)

On my 2300, Firefox is faster xhosted from my laptop than running locally.
Not sure I'm surprised, though; the thing is ~400 bogomips.

> I noticed a new ebox-4300 which is the same profile as the 2300 but a
> bit faster (and Via, unlike the 2300sx).  The price isn't that great yet
> ($231).

I have a 4300.  It's a sweet box.  But yeah, the price is a bit high.
And now that VIA has announced 64-bit processors that are
die-compatible one can hope that either the price will go down or there
will soon be a much faster machine available in the same case.

> After this adventure, WDL was great in helping us out and I can now
> highly recommend them for embedded hardware.  We're soon going to be
> testing a setup with the 2300 + built-in wireless.  I'll keep the
> list updated.

Am I wasting my time hoping to get the 2300-SX running Debian?
Eventually I want to put a 160G hard drive in it and use it for NAS
and maybe (with USB audio) to drive my wife's stereo.  So I don't need
PXE-boot to work: that's just the easiest way to install -- or was,
anyway, for my 2300 and 4300.

Thanks,

--Eric