[PLUG] VMware Suggestions Needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 13 21:26:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Quentin Hartman wrote:

> To answer your previous question, yes Player and Server can both run
> virtual machines created with Workstation 5.5.

Quentin,

   That's good to know. Actually, the vm was created with the pre-1.0 betas
and updated (or just used) with every release they sold me until I stopped
buying them with 5.5.3. Workstation-5.5.1 was the last one running, IIRC.

> To get an overview of how the various VMware products fit together, you
> can take a look at the slides from a presentation on virtualization I gave
> at the Eugene IT Pro Forum last year. http://itproforum.org. Slide 6 has a
> graphic I put together on it showing their different products and at a
> high level how they relate to eachother.

   Will do.

> Since it sounds like you are going to be in "experimental mode" you might
> also want to give VMware server 2.0 Beta a try. It has some nice new
> features in it and once again, has the most recent code for kernel
> interfacing in it so it should be fairly turn key with even the newest
> kernels.

   The latest kernel support is good; nice new features probably of no value
to me. I stopped upgrading MapInfo in 1998 (it runs on the virtual win98 as
it did on win95), and Garmin's MapSource also doesn't need anything newer or
fancier.

   Since I'm not doing spatial analyses any longer, I should just ensure that
all the GIS data are also found on a linux partition and not worry about MI.
If MapSource runs on WINE or something similar, I can use it to load
specific maps to the little GPS receiver as desired.

Many thanks,