[PLUG] kexi

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 00:41:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:30:11 -0600
"Robert Citek" <robert.citek at gmail.com> dijo:

> On Feb 13, 2008 1:43 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Ultimately I'd like to do data manipulation in Kexi, but for now I can
> > create the queries in OOo. I still have to do data editing in Kexi,
> > because Base sees the Kexi tables as read-only. Theoretically another
> > option is to move all the tables into Base and just forget about Kexi,
> > but that doesn't seem to be working. Plus according to all the reviews
> > Base is extremely slow, and breaks every time a new Java comes out.
>
> Can you use sqlite3 as a backend for either Kexi or OOoBase?

I'm not sure what you mean. Bear in mind that I know zero about
programming and only enough about databases to do a mail merge into a
word processor.

Kexi uses sqlite3 as its format. So how is that different from "as a
backend"?

I also managed to get OOo to see the Kexi data. To do so I had to
install sqlite3 drivers/libraries. Then I had to use ODBCConfig and get
it to see the driver, and then create a User DSN in ODBCConfig pointing
to the Kexi database. Only then was OOo Base able to see the Kexi
database. It would probably take an ordinary person a few minutes to do
this, but it cost me several hours of googling, experimenting, throwing
up, revising my approach, trying again, throwing up again (rinse,
repeat).

At this point I have a solution that works. I have the data in Kexi,
and I can access the Kexi file with OOo. Kexi is too young yet and does
not have good support for queries, but I can use queries in OOo Base
instead. OOo Base allows me to view and merge the data, but does not
allow editing of the Kexi data. Kexi, however, can edit the data. So if
I need to edit the data I use Kexi; if I need to query or merge it, I
use OOo base.

It's a clunky solution, but it will get me by until either Kexi gets
better with queries or OOo base gets better with importing tables from
Kexi.