[PLUG] Advanced Topics February meeting

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Feb 14 11:02:34 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Larry" == Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> writes:

Larry> I have a few topics I could talk about but I don't have
Larry> anything ready.

While "ready" is good and even very desirable, it is hardly necessary,
as I amply demonstrated twice recently.

Larry> My last one was one disk drives (around 2000 or 2001).

Was that the disk failure analysis talk?  I remember that as being
rather good.

I've been trying to recruit people to talk at PLUG, including someone
to follow up on the nice intel ethernet driver effort with a talk on
intel's wireless driver effort.  That's something I am very interested
in, and have a marginal "in" with a potential speaker on the subject.
Unfortunately, at the moment, they are ramping up and aren't quite
ready to give a talk.

Thanks to Keith Lofstrom's sharp eyes and sharing spirit, I heard
about the Humaninet event in time to attend this evening.  It was
pretty cool, learned a little about humanitarian relief efforts and a
role for geeks, and saw a satellite communications terminal (air time
is painfully expensive, but before all you had was money ... now you
can read your email from the nepalese pucker-brush).  The meeting had
a big turnout of people, lots of whom I hadn't ever seen before,
including a contingent from nten.org, a group I had barely heard
about, but which sounded like "fellow travellers".  Also, i saw at
least half-a-dozen XO's and even got to play with one for a bit.

There is a lot of interesting stuff floating around out there.  Some
of you are probably doing some of it.  Share!  It's easy.  When your
audience has had enough, they'll clap and you can sit down.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net