[PLUG] Mhz and bogomips (was: Re: Thin-clients)

plug at eehouse.org plug at eehouse.org
Thu Feb 14 17:14:12 UTC 2008

I wrote, re the eBox 2300-SX

> Am I wasting my time hoping to get the 2300-SX running Debian?

The good news: I got it running (by Debian-installing onto a
USB-mounted CF card on my desktop, then swapping in a patched kernel.)

The bad news: 94 bogomips.

I was expecting at least 5x that.  The original 2300 has a 200mhz
processor and runs at 400 bogomips, while the new 4300 with its 500mhz
processor runs 1000 bogomips.  Is there anything I could have done in
building my kernel to cause the device to run so far below what I
assumed was its potential?

One thing I do need to check: BIO settings that might be underclocking
it.  Anything else?

Hey, it's a cute device; it'll make a nice paperweight. :-)

Thanks,

--Eric