[PLUG] script to make my laptop 'safe' for int'l travel?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Feb 17 22:19:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   The goal is to pass inspection without raising any eyebrows and
> bringing the computer back home again.

Oh, come on.

Since the searches themselves are totally meritless and irrational, why
would you think you could come up with some rational way to second-guess
the inspectors?

If you wanted to smuggle data into the US, you would just use SSH and ship
it across the internet to a machine somewhere.  Anyone who wishes to
actually do such a thing has already done so.

My personal belief is that the laptop confiscation scare exists to
discourage overseas travel, create an illusion of threat, and possibly
make bloggers think twice about checking out the world situation
first-hand.

Put your laptop in a DHL box and ship it home.  Mark the customs label
"office equipment and documents" and be done with it.

J.