[PLUG] Metro-fi & Wireless Channels

kurt braget joehaircut at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 06:59:31 UTC 2008

On 17 Feb 2008 22:08:57 -0800, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> Russell> MetroFi sticks to the three non-overlapping channels to minimize
> its
> own self-interference.

I laughed out loud at this one. It's like a guy coming into a library,
yelling really loud, then changes rooms frequently enough so he can hear
himself, not because there are other people quietly reading.

> kurt> Could they possibly be interfering with my equipment?
>

> Russell> Not intentionally.  But many things are possible.

See, that's the thing I'm hoping to eventually prove to myself. Even if it's
not intentional, doesn't keep it from being a nuisance, if not illegal
(given the chance they are hogging up the airwaves). I'm sure there's got to
be a law somewhere about disturbing other's frequencies....

> Russell> The traditional recommendation is to try to stick to 1, 6 or 11,
> because these three channels do not interfere with each other.  Most
> off-the-shelf wifi routers default to channel 6.  However, in very
> dense wifi environments, you are going to get interference on any of
> those channels.

Both netgear routers here were defaulting to channel 11. Switched to 5, sort
of worked, then crapped out. Channel 11 immediately goes down. Could just be
bad equipment, have to get some other equipment to test.

> Russell> If you are actually seeing interference problems...

How can I 'see' interference problems? Or would I just deduce interference
from present activity on given channels, etc?

> Russell> Kismet will tell you if anyone nearby is using those already.
> Basically, you are looking for maximum separation from whoever is
> transmitting loudest and most (a very-loud network that isn't being
> used much doesn't interfere as much as a medium-loud network that is
> transmitting a lot).

Cool, gonna investigate more. Too lazy to run wire, hate being restricted to
the living room.