[PLUG] Grub won't launch Debian until I hit return key

plug at eehouse.org plug at eehouse.org
Tue Feb 19 05:54:01 UTC 2008

Just did a net install of Debian Etch.  It installed Grub.  Everything
is fine -- except that the machine won't boot unattended.  It gets to
the Grub screen, giving me the two choices Debian installed, but will
not leave that screen until I hit the return key to make a choice.

Once I hit return there are no further problems.

I've checked the menu.lst file, which says 'default 0' and 'timeout 5'.
I've run 'update-grub'.  And I've rebooted several times.  Any ideas
what might be wrong -- or how to fix?

I guess I could switch to lilo....

Thanks,

--Eric