[PLUG] M$ Only Government Sites, was Accessing Old Microsoft Files With OO.o-2.1

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 21:18:21 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan wrote:

>> SAIL requires Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 4.x and above
>
> Smells like restraint of trade. Governments are not immune from the
> Sherman and Clayton Acts. Oregon has similar laws which are sometimes
> more restrictive. A word to the county attorney would probably be
> ignored, but is worth thinking about, especially if it comes from your
> corporate counsel.
>
> I'm not an expert on anti-trust laws, but Google might turn up
> something with IE +antitrust.

Let's see... which windmill do I point my lance at, today?

While it would be very satisfying, and useful for the general public,
too, if I were to pursue and be successful taking on Multnomah County's
IS department, I think I'll pass. I did send a polite complaint e-mail
to the web master with links to the other three counties' GIS sites.

While I can't use SAIL from my Linux machine, or with Firefox on my XP
machine, I can still get the job done. Like you, my goal is to some day
be able to do all my computing with Linux and open source software. That
day is still somewhere off in the future.

Interesting idea, though.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens